By Rachel Picot, Theta Kappa-Florida Atlantic University, Executive Office Intern
Who’s excited for Alpha Delta Pi’s 166th Anniversary Grand Convention at the Diplomat Beach Resort? I sure am! I’m Rachel, a sister of the Theta Kappa Chapter at Florida Atlantic University and an Executive Office Intern this summer, as well as a native to sunny South Florida.
From the beautiful beaches to the trendy art districts and everything in between, I promise, South Florida won’t disappoint! I love trying out new food and if you’re like me, the Diplomat Beach Resort is already a perfect spot for new cuisines. The resort has fabulous restaurants including:
- Diplomat Prime, a luxury boutique steakhouse
- Point Royal, a Coastal American Restaurant & Bar by Geoffrey Zakarian
- Bristol’s Burgers, a timeless burger joint that finished in 2nd place in the “People’s Choice” category at Burger Bash during the 2017 Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine & Food Festival (SOBEWFF)
- Monkitail, a contemporary take on the classic izakaya, featuring shareable small plates and sushi by celebrity and famed chef Michael Schulson.
I’ve also included a list of my favorite spots around the resort, too!
My favorite lunch café:
- Aruba Beach Café (Lauderdale-by-the-Sea)- I recommend the Hibachi Chicken Teriyaki!
My favorite casual seafood dinner spot:
- Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant & Marina (Dania Beach)- They have the best Bimini bread ever!
My favorite brunch restaurants:
- Tap 42 Fort Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale)- I recommend the White Chocolate Strawberry Pancakes!
- Colada Cuban Coffee House & Eatery (Fort Lauderdale)- I recommend their Tres Leche Waffles with Guava Whipped Cream
My favorite ice cream shop:
- Surf N Spray (Hollywood)- I recommend their pistachio soft-serve ice cream!
Things to do around the resort:
- Paddle Boarding
You can rent Stand-Up-Paddle Boards/ Single& Double Kayaks by the hour at the Hollywood Paddle Board Club.
Miami Wynwood Walls Art District (about 18 miles from the Resort)
Wynwood Walls is a trendy district of huge, colorful outdoor murals created by artists around the globe!
Going to South Beach for the day is always fun! It’s about 16.5 miles from the Resort. There is beachside food, shopping, and beach volleyball!
La Olas Boulevard is similar to South Beach, but is located in Fort Lauderdale and has beachside food and shopping!
The Aventura Mall is 4.3 miles from the Resort and it features high-end luxury stores.
The Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale (13.2 miles from the resort) is for everyone from the conservative spender to the high-end buyer.
Have fun exploring the Sunshine State! I’m so eager and excited to connect with sisters from all over the world and experience Grand Convention for the first time! Don’t forget your swimsuits & sunscreen!
Want to See More?
- Adelphean Compass (4)
- All Star Alumnae (6)
- Alumnae News (43)
- awards (3)
- Chapter Tips (6)
- Collegiate News (46)
- Colony News (1)
- District Leadership Conference (10)
- Expansion (2)
- Fit (2)
- Foundation (74)
- Grand Convention (21)
- Grand Council (21)
- Guest Post (37)
- Health (5)
- Healthy Living (2)
- History (10)
- Jobs and Internships (13)
- Leadership Consultants (21)
- Leadership Seminar (14)
- Misc. (9)
- Panhellenic (1)
- Philanthropy (22)
- Recruitment (4)
- Scholarship (12)
- Sisterhood (65)
- Uncategorized (22)
- Who Runs the World? (10)